What the papers say
Recent reviews and papers published in peer-reviewed medical journals
The ukactive Research Institute aims to build an evidence base for the use of exercise and physical activity programmes in the improvement of quality of life, and the prevention and management of disease. Their primary objective is to bridge the evidence gap between traditional laboratory based ‘exercise is medicine’ research and realworld interventions.
The ukactive Research Institute carried out a full literature review of ECP therapy incorporating over 70 international publications. Read their key findings here.
Key scientific publications
- Michaels AD, et al. Left ventricular systolic unloading and augmentation of intracoronary pressure and doppler flow during enhanced external counterpulsation. Circulation. 2002;106:1237-1242.
- Gurovich, A. N. & Braith, R. W. Enhanced external counterpulsation creates acute blood flow patterns responsible for improved flow-mediated dilation in humans. Hypertens. Res. 36, 297–305 (2013).
- Qin X, Deng Y, Wu D, Yu L, Huang R (2016) Does Enhanced External Counterpulsation (EECP) Significantly Affect Myocardial Perfusion?: A Systematic Review & Meta-Analysis. PLoS ONE 11(4): e0151822
- Braverman, D. L., Braitman, L. & Figeuredo, V. M. The Safety and Efficacy of Enhanced External Counterpulsation as a Treatment for Angina in Patients with Aortic Stenosis. Clin. Cardiol. 36, 82–87 (2013).
- Ole May, Vibeke Lynggaard, Jesper C. A. Mortensen & Jerzy Malczynski (2015) Enhanced external counterpulsation – Effect on angina pectoris, QoL and exercise capacity after 1 year, Scandinavian Cardiovascular Journal, 49:1, 1-6,
- Bonetti PO, et al. Enhanced external counterpulsation improves endothelial function in patients with symptomatic coronary artery disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2003;41(10):1761-1768.
- Hui JCK, Lawson WE, Barsness GW. EECP in the Treatment of Endothelial Dysfunction: Preventing Progression of Cardiovascular Disease. Journal of Geriatric Cardiology June 2010 Vol 7, No. 2
- Dimmeler S, Fleming I, Fisslthaler B, Hermann C, Busse R, Zeiher AM. Activation of nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells by Akt-dependent phosphorylation. Nature. 1999;399(6736):601–5. pmid:10376603
- Kelly, V., Roberts, L., James, L., Caia, J., Scott, T., & Halson, S. Effects of long-term external counterpulsation therapy on performance, recovery and systemic vascular adaptations in elite rugby league players. In Journal of Sports Sciences Jan 2016 Vol. 34, No. Sup. 1, pp. s16-s16.
- Routledge. Kelly, V., Roberts, L., & Scott. Physiological and perceptual response to acute external counterpulsation therapy in elite athletes. In Journal of Sports Sciences Jan 2016 Vol. 34, No. Sup. 1, pp. s74-s74.
- Routledge. Roberts, L., James, L., Caia, J., Wellington, B., Scott, T., Halson, S., & Kelly, V. Effects of external counterpulsation therapy on acute recovery in elite Australian rugby league players. 2017 Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 20, e85.